Windsoressexvets_christmasandpets: A dog lying on a pillow and blanket with Christmas lights behind him.

Skip the Animal Emergency Room this Holiday Season!

With the holiday season now in full swing, your decorating must be well underway. While tinsel, glittery ornaments and a well-adorned tree fill your home with holiday cheer, they can also be hazardous to your pet’s safety. If ingested, many holiday-inspired items can cause gastrointestinal upset or other bodily harm.


At Windsor Essex Vets—one of the oldest established animal hospitals near Lakeshore, ON—our compassionate team of veterinarians is committed to providing helpful pet care tips and advice for keeping your furry friends safe and happy. This year, skip the animal emergency room! Consider these precautionary measures as you gear up for the holidays.


Maintain your tree 

If you’re accustomed to mounting a real tree, make sure you change the water often. Stagnant water is breeding ground for bacteria and can cause vomiting or diarrhea if swallowed. Also, make sure to keep the area clear of pine needles at all times. Although they may seem small and harmless, these prickly green spikes can puncture your pet’s intestines.


Go artificial 

Many plants characteristic of the holiday season like holly, mistletoe and poinsettias are poisonous and can also cause vomiting or diarrhea if ingested. Opt for pet-friendly, artificial alternatives; nowadays, you can barely tell the difference!


Skip the tinsel 

Pets love this light-catching “toy,” especially cats. But a nibble can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting and dehydration. Brighten your tree with lights or shiny ornaments instead, always keeping in mind to avoid hanging decorations on the tree’s lower boughs.


Avoid edible decor

Gingerbread, candy canes and popcorn string are just too enticing for most pets to ignore. Avoid luring your furry friends to the tree with sweet treats. Not only will they be kept out of harm’s way, but you’ll also be spared the hassle of re-doing the tree once they mischievously knock it down.


Watch that burning flame 

While candles are great for creating a warm and festive ambiance, you should never leave them unattended with your pets in the house. Attracted by the glow, your pets can potentially suffer burns or worse, knock over the candle causing fire to spread.


If your pet is having difficulty breathing or is suffering from nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, they may have ingested something they shouldn’t have. Ornaments, plants, presents, lights and pine needles can all pose serious threats to your pet’s health. 


Thankfully, Windsor Essex Vets has four convenient locations to choose from in the surrounding Lakeshore, ON region. Our animal hospital is fully equipped to quickly diagnose and treat your pet’s ailments.

If you’re in need of immediate medical attention for your pet and are looking for a vet in Essex, call us right away!

0 0
Feed